Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) is a two-day interactive workshop in suicide first aid. ASIST teaches participants to recognize when someone may have thoughts of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety. Although ASIST is widely used by healthcare providers, participants don't need any formal training to attend the workshop -- anyone 16 or older can learn and use the ASIST model.
Since its development in 1983, ASIST has received regular updates to reflect improvements in knowledge and practice, and over 1 million people have taken the workshop. Studies show that the ASIST method helps reduce suicidal feelings in those at risk and is a cost-effective way to help address the problem of suicide.
Over the course of their two-day workshop, ASIST participants learn to:
- Understand the ways that personal and societal attitudes affect views on suicide and interventions
- Provide guidance and suicide first aid to a person at risk in ways that meet their individual safety needs
- Identify the key elements of an effective suicide safety plan and the actions required to implement it
- Appreciate the value of improving and integrating suicide prevention resources in the community at large
- Recognize other important aspects of suicide prevention including life-promotion and self-care
- Presentations and guidance from two LivingWorks registered trainers
- March 25 & 26
- May 15 & 16
- August 1 & 2
- October 2 & 3
- The training is a full two-day training and participants must be present for both consecutive days to complete the training. ASIST does not require a degree or specific education level, it is a workshop designed to provide intervention skills to everyone.
- We welcome and encourage you to reach out to anyone you believe may be interested in learning more about suicide first aid.
- Cost is covered for internal Washington County staff.
- Cost: $100/participant for external providers (including external staff who work in house).
- Will take names and put individuals on a wait list as needed
Contact: Katie Haupt at firstname.lastname@example.org or Samantha Gonnering at email@example.com